Last year I started making my own organic personal hygiene products. It has been incredibly rewarding to know exactly what’s in everything I put on my body, that they are all completely edible, and that they won’t have a negative impact on the environment. Today was one of those rare days when I ran out of everything at once so I started out my morning mixing up soap, shampoo, facial toner, hair gel, etc.
I’ve had lots of requests for my recipes. Here’s my Magic Deodorant. The first time I made it, I thought I had bought shea butter, but got cocoa butter instead – oops!. Ever since my armpits have been kind of chocolaty delicious. I really like it especially with lemongrass and anise essential oils, and no one’s complained so far (at least not to my face)! – besides, isn’t chocolate an aphrodisiac?
Have a great time experimenting with this one.
Shea Butter Deodorant Ingredients
- 3 T Coconut Oil
- 3 T Baking Soda
- 2 T Shea Butter
- 2 T Arrowroot or organic cornstarch
- Essential Oils (optional)
Shea Butter Deodorant Instructions
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted. (I use a mason jar in a small pot of water).
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot or cornstarch (If you don’t have either, use more baking soda)
- Mix well
- Add essential oils and pour into a glass container or 2 empty deodorant sticks.